Views from local people
In 2017/18, local people were asked for views on:
- What more could be done to help people to stay well and avoid serious illness
- How GP and other services in our communities could improve to meet the needs of local people
- How the three main hospitals in Southend, Chelmsford and Basildon could work together to improve care
- Proposals to transfer services from Orsett Hospital to new centres in Thurrock, Basildon and Brentwood.
In summary, the main messages from people were that:
- The overall approach was right to provide care at home and in community settings, where possible.
- We should maximise the benefits of joined up health and social care to treat people as people, with physical, mental and social care needs that need to be considered together.
- There should be more action and investment in prevention and proactive care to avoid illness.
- The plan needs more development and detail in terms of GP and community services.
- It is clear that we need more GPs, community nurses and hospital specialists – this needs a convincing workforce plan.
- Hospital service changes were dependent upon a strong transport infrastructure, which needs further work and improvement.
- The public needs more confidence in the future financial resources available to deliver our Partnership plan.